Archive

Archive for July, 2012

The 2012 Summer Olympics Feature Gold, Silver Bronze…and Copper

July 27th, 2012 No comments

By Victoria Prather, Manager, Communications CDA

As the 2012 Summer Olympics open tonight in London, athletes from across the globe are coveting the gold, silver and bronze medals, but did you know that each medal is actually created using copper mined in the United States?  Read more…

Categories: Art, Design Tags:

Antimicrobial Copper Plays an Important Role in Future ICUs

July 25th, 2012 No comments

By Wilton Moran, CDA Project Engineer

We know that hospital-acquired infections (HAIs) are a huge problem. Hospital patients have a one-in-20 chance of developing an infection. And if they do develop an infection, they have a one-in-20 chance of dying as a result. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that in the U.S., hospital acquired infections kill 100,000 people and cost up to $45 billion annually. Read more…

Categories: antimicrobial Tags:

CDA Training Covers Motor Management from Inventory to Analysis (Part 2 of 2)

July 24th, 2012 No comments

By Richard deFay, Copper Development Association Project Manager, Sustainable Energy

In our teaching, I also like to emphasize the life cycle cost vs. the first cost and the need for early replacement of older, less efficient motors. The initial cost of purchasing a copper rotor motor represents only 2% of the total cost of ownership. Energy costs, maintenance and other variables make up the other 98% of the cost over the lifetime of the motor. Read more…

Categories: Sustainability Tags:

New CDA Program Teaches Motor Efficiency to Industrial Facilities (Part 1 of 2)

July 20th, 2012 No comments

By Richard deFay, Copper Development Association Project Manager, Sustainable Energy

I’m excited about the new programs sponsored by the CDA to help industrial and commercial facilities understand and adopt motor-efficiency improvements. We give them the tools and know-how to conduct an audit of critical motors in their facilities. Read more…

Categories: Sustainability Tags:

Happy 120th Birthday Ellis Island

July 3rd, 2012 No comments

By Victoria Prather, Manager, Communications, CDA

It’s been a gateway to immigrants who were greeted by the Statue of Liberty. Lady Liberty stands tall today thanks to copper.

As we get ready to celebrate July 4, let’s take a moment to remember the 120th anniversary of Ellis Island, the gateway to the new world for more than 12 million immigrants. Read more…

Categories: Art, Building, History Tags: